The Next Generation Technologies Fund (NGTF) seeks proposals from academia, industry, and Government-funded organisations for two leap-ahead Human Performance proposals: a Performance Patch project and a Cognitive Gut project.
The NGTF is investing up to $7m over 3.5 years to deliver two parallel studies to advance either the measurement of warfighter performance or its enhancement through modification.
Funding for applicants is limited to 1.5 years in the first instance. Follow-on investment for the remaining two years is subject to a mid-point project review.
Aims to advance the real-time measurement and prediction of Warfighter readiness and performance. More Specifically:
- To explore the potential for molecular biomarkers that can predict cognitive and physical performance (and risk of physical injury) before and during military missions.
- To pilot minimally invasive biofluid sampling options that might support a fieldable Performance Patch concept.
- To explore molecular biomarkers’ synergy and non-invasive wearables to indicate an individual’s status to perform optimally.
To undertake innovative mechanistic and applied research that will optimize and enhance cognitive performance through gut microbiota interventions. More specifically:
- What gut bacterial species have the greatest effect on military cognitive performance?
- How can these gut bacterial species be optimised or enhanced to induce the greatest benefit to military cognitive performance?
- What are the gut bacterial species that are most negatively affected by military-relevant stressors?
- What are the mechanisms responsible for the gut bacterial affecting cognitive performance?
DST will provide a research program brief to all interested parties via Microsoft Teams on Wednesday 27 January 2021.
If you are interested in attending, please contact Lisa Headley via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 25th January 2021.
Application due date
The call for proposals closes at COB (AEDST) Tuesday, 23 February 2021.
Submissions are to be made via AusTender.